You can have a direct impact on how well your home will look in the professional photographs and during showings by following these guidelines.
Your Home’s Exterior
- Remove all vehicles from driveways and do not park directly in front of the house.
- Move garbage cans out of sight.
- Remove all garden tools including hoses and sprinklers.
- Remove all children’s toys, bikes, etc.
- If you have a pool, make sure it is clean and free of any floats, toys, etc.
- Mow, weed and rake yard.
- Sweep or blow-off driveways, sidewalks and patios.
Your Home’s General Interior
- Declutter rooms which may be excessively furnished or decorated (bric-a brac, artificial flowers, personal photos etc.)
- Throw rugs and runners in entryways, kitchens, and bathrooms should be removed.
- Remove all shoes – store away in closets.
- Replace any burned out light bulbs in fixtures and lamps.
The Living & Family Room
- Remove piles of newspaper and magazines.
- Hide all TV/Stereo remotes.
- Conceal all exposed cables and chords as best possible.
- Remove clutter, personal photos, etc. from bookshelves tables and cabinets.
- Tuck trash cans out of view in a closet or cupboard.
- Make all beds and tidy bedrooms.
- Clothes hung, or folded and put away.
- Remove items from bedside tables–books, magazines, pictures, clock radios, etc.
- Clear off counter tops and remove any appliances, i.e. toasters, coffee pots, knife blocks.
- Remove photos, magnets, notes and papers from the refrigerator.
- Clean the major appliances- make them sparkle- refrigerator, oven, range hood, and wipe down all countertops.
The Dining Room
- Clean dining room table.
- Set the table with your best China and dinnerware.(Optional)
- Add a colorful centerpiece such as candles or flowers. (Optional)
- Clear off and clean the countertops. Remove toothbrushes, shavers, soap dishes, tissue & lotion dispensers, makeup mirrors, etc.
- Remove shampoo and other products from the shower/tub area.
- All toilet seats should be down and lid closed.
- Mirrors should be clean.
The Final Touches on the Day of the Photo Shoot
- Contain pets in the garage or out of sight.
- Turn on all interior lights.
- Turn ceiling fans and televisions off.